Monday, January 30, 2012

I started my search for noise cancellation headphones

When it comes to earphones (or in-ear headphones, call them whatever you’d like) the single most important factor is fit. No matter how many drivers they have, how much they cost, or what brand name they carry, if they don’t fit well you won’t have a good listening experience. And, as it turns out, fit is a tricky issue. The pair that works great for me might not work well for you (not that I’d let someone else use my earphones) and vice versa, simply due to the shape of our respective ear canals. While the swappable inserts are helpful they aren’t a sure thing, so buyers need to shop around and find a brand that works for them.

Take a song like “Do It Again” from Steely Dan and the Zions sound much better. While this 70s radio staple isn’t a definitive audiophile classic, it was recorded with great care in an era where bass wasn’t king. The vocals and mid-range instrumentals are spot on in clarity and balance. I had forgotten how good Steely Dan was, and the Zions helped me relive good times. Raise the treble frequencies, and these headphones, in my opinion, sound better than any in their price range. They even sound better than some more expensive headphones. I also find them to be very stylish and comfortable. I have a large head with large ears, and these headphones do not hurt my head even after an album's worth of listening. The large soft pillow like pads do make my ears a little warm, but not unbearably hot.

I started my search for noise cancellation headphones because I couldn't enjoy my music at home with all the neighbors dogs barking. I first went to Best Buy and tried out the Bose QuietComfort 15 and various Dre Beats. Unfortunately, Soul's are only available online but I'm glad I trusted the reviews and ordered them w/o completely knowing what I was getting into. The Soul's noise cancellation is amazing if not better than what I remember at the store from the Bose QuiteComforts. These are very comfortable to wear too. After 4 hours, my ears were a little warm but nothing that required me to lift them up periodically to breathe as I had read about the QuiteComforts.

It doesn’t matter guys. We all are paying the same price. Yes buying the newer, extremely limited version would give you a better memory card, but not everyone needs it (me included). Also, first edition gets it a week early and an exclusive case. All and all its preference, at least they are giving options and are telling us nearly a month early to change plans if you want to get the newer bundle. Although I would be concerned over the stated rarity of the newer bundle, are they even going to be offered as a preorder?

1) I know people fortunate enough to live in the United States have the opportunity to check out Vita at one of the Social Hill Clubs, but what about us who live in Canada!? As a passionate PlayStation devotee, I would love to see more events organized up north in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc .2) I noticed you guys didn’t talk about Insomniac putting the Resistance franchise to rest. Also, you guys didn’t really mention anything about The Tester 3. Can Canadians also apply for a spot in that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More